Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Prayer for Owen Meany

Recently someone asked me to tell them about my all time favorite book. Well, here it is....
Owen Meany is an odd little boy with a wrecked voice. His family is dysfunctional squared, but he has a best friend whose family becomes more substantial in his life than his own. I have recommended this to anyone who has ever asked for a good read and only one person has not liked it (to tell you why would give it away). I love Owen, I love his life and his relationship with John. I have purchased at least 8 copies of this book and every time I loan it out I never get it back!
When we put our first house on the market and were 'staging' it to look kind of nice with very little furniture - I went to Salvation Army to find some cook books for the kitchen and found a worn copy of this book and left it behind for the new home owners!
They did try to make this into a movie, thanks be that they didn't stay close enough to the real book that they could use the name and ended up calling it "Simon Birch" a passable movie but the book could just never be matched.

1 comment:

Jennifer Buck said...

My absolute favorite book of all time! :)