Monday, December 1, 2008

Lord of the Flies

I recently re-read The Lord of the Flies since my son Kyle had to read it for school. My husband marveled at how long it took me to finish thinking that I didn't like the book, but it was attributable to the fact that this book is so dense and full of character development and intriguing story that I couldn't skim it for enjoyment.
I remember from the first reading of the book wondering about some of the details of the plane crash and the families of the boys who were stranded on the island, but I realized reading it now that there was a good reason for leaving those details out of the story. The boys all leave behind their lives completely, acclimating to life and the new hierarchy that develops on the island. It is intriguing how that hierarchy develops and changes and the boys allow all of the conventional constraints of their lives to fall away embracing what they are left with - their most primal instincts.

1 comment:

janet said...

What a great blog! I will enjoy reading it...