Thursday, November 20, 2008

Homicide A Year on the Killing Streets

Way far back in 1993 a new show came to my television. "Homicide, Life on the Street", (see Homicide Life on the Street - The Complete Seasons 1 & 2)
I thought it was just a spin off from Law & Order. A freakin' AWESOME spin off but not more. I don't remember when I actually paid attention to the credits and saw that it was based on this book. I was faithful to Pembleton & Bayliss for 6 years - don't get your knickers in a knot, I mean in regards to my television viewing, they were my #1 show - even when, in the last 2 seasons, it kind of jumped the shark.
Well, it took me 15 years to finally read the book but it was worth the wait! I admit to spending the first third of the book trying to figure out who the television characters were based on until I noticed that there were photos in the middle that let me know (fyi - didn't need them, yes i'm a little awesome that way).
If you are squeamish, or if reading foul language bothers you, don't read this book. If you are highly (or moderately) interested in procedural type drama and police stories and you can get beyond the language. Read the book! I have never seen death the way these men have and probably never will but David Simon really brings life and humanity to all of the people who are mentioned in the book.
I have yet to find a good rating system for my opinion on the books I read, but this gets 4 1/2 out of 5 whatever rating I end up using.

No comments: