Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Virus on Orbis 1

When he was in 5th grade, I picked my youngest son up from school and he said the words that I'd long waited to hear - "Mom, we have to go buy this book!"

An author had come to speak to the kids at the school and he was so dynamic and excited about his book and reaching out to kids to try and get them interested in reading that his excitement was infectious enough to rub off on my son. As a reader, I have hoped for the day when one of my sons would want to read and when it came I was over the moon! We ended up having to wait a day before the stock of books got back to the bookstore, but our patience was rewarded when we got the book, it was signed.

The next year we went to a book signing and got to meet PJ Haarsma



- it wasn't well attended, but if there is another this year, I will make sure I bring every kid we know.

The book was great! JT is a kid traveling through space on a ship where all of the adults have died. Once the ship arrives, the kids start a four year stint of servitude to the Citizens of Orbis.

I have mentioned before that I like getting in at the end of a series so that I can power through and know what the heck is going to happen. We got in at the beginning here and it is the only time I really haven't minded. Book 3 is scheduled to be on the shelves on March 10, 2009.

No comments: