Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Twilight Saga

OOOOOOH movie coming out this week!
Where do I fall with this set of books? After having (almost) everyone I knew saying I had to read this book, one person lent it to me and it sat on my shelf for almost a year before I finally picked it up. I mean really, human girl falling in love with a vampire (did no one watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer?) it has been done!
So, I read about 30-40 other books first and when I ran out of everything in my house, it was a Sunday so I wasn't headed to the library, this was the only thing I had never picked up and I sort of got tired of feeling like it was screaming at me to be given back to Justyn every time I looked at the shelf - I thought what the heck, I'll give it a shot!
If you don't know yet the gist of the story - you must be living under a rock.
There were really no BTVS comparisons, other than the obvious - but here is what I liked:

1. Bella is pretty but not perfect. I think she is universally relate able to almost all young women.
2. Jacob (sorry Edward fans, I am more practical in relationships)
3. This is a youth book - geared toward girls but I know a couple of teenage boys who read and liked it - that it is not trashy with sex and foul language.

My friend's sister had a freak out about the popularity of the book because Edward stays in her room while Bella sleeps, but it didn't strike me as inappropriate material for young girls. Most of what they see on television and in school is far worse. In fact, Edward's control and desire to keep Bella safe and I'll use the term "whole" is sweet and an indication of true love and not the teen lust that many girls fall into. I think it gives a young woman a relationship to aspire to, one in which her boyfriend truly values her total worth.
I'll be in line at the end of the week to check out the transition it made to the movie theater but I feel safe in the assumption that it won't measure up to the mental canvas in my mind.

No comments: