Monday, November 17, 2008

The Merchant of Death

If I am going to read a book series, I want to jump in at the end. There is nothing more frustrating than waiting a year (or so) to find out what happens next.
Happily, I found the Pendragon series just last year and had 9 books to read! I won’t tell you how long it did (or didn’t) take me to complete all 9, but I will say that I have no idea when the last book comes out and it is killing me!
This is a very good series - my 12 year old came kicking and screaming to the first book, but he is a firm fan now. Reading these books as an adult, I did enjoy the story and it kept me involved despite the inconsistencies and the fact that Bobby Pendragon rarely behaves his own age whether it is 14 in the first book or 17 in the most recently published one.
The stories are clean, and fun. The characters are likable and you will root for the good guys. I have to respect an author who chooses paths that I don’t see coming a mile away and let me say that doesn’t happen often. For the most part you can discern what direction the stories will take; however, there are some nice turns.
We got to meet the author last year at Jake’s school and if you are a fan you should know he is a really nice and likable man. The type of man you want to see succeed in his career. Which, yeah he is doing…..